Public Speaking with Twice the Impact, Using Half the Effort
The end of Public Speaking as we know it! This revolutionary method shows you how to think clearly, manage anxiety and speak persuasively.
It helps you bring your ideas to life with:
- A simpler way to control nerves.
- A simpler way to structure your ideas.
- A simpler way to engage your audience with natural delivery skills.
There is tremendous value in the Sample Chapter!
- An amazing technique to eliminate the awkward start of any speech, take the spotlight off your performance so you can relax and create the best environment to engage your audience.
- A case study of Hawthorn Football Club outlining one of the secrets of this Professional Sporting Club's incredible success over the last few years.
- You'll learn that great leaders are always associated with memorable messages. Because it’s the impact of their messages that determines whether they are seen as great leaders. If you are a leader, your messages are the reason people follow you.
- You'll read how the CEOs of both Coke and General Electric were able to outperform all other companies in the world for nearly two decades.
- And includes Jack Welch's message single message that drove this success.
And many other examples of messaging success including:
- Al Gore's election loss and Bill Clinton's advice.
- The Paramount Pictures executive presenting to Tome Cruise's and Steven Spielberg's production companies.
What people are saying about the book...
"Congratulations Cam. Wonderful stories, delivered well. I wish you every success."
- Jack Welch, former CEO of General Electric and author of 'Winning'
"Cam is the Magic Man! He has an amazing ability to distill complex ideas into simple, practical steps."
- Jules Lund, Radio and TV Personality.
"It's refreshing to read a public speaking book that focuses on the message rather than the techniques. Every speaker-to-be should read 'What's Your Message' before getting in front of an audience."
-Al Ries, Author of 'War In The Boardroom' and 'Positioning'.
“I knew what I wanted to say. Cam refocused me on how to say it in a way that cut straight to the heart. That made all the difference. This man knows what he’s doing.”
"Cam Barber’s readable book on public speaking offers a practical perspective on how to think about defining and presenting the messages that are important to your audiences."
- Rita Gunther McGrath, Professor at Columbia Business School
"Cam has helped us enormously in getting our ideas across."
- Alastair Clarkson, Head Coach, Hawthorn Football Club.
"Great book. Thank you for your fresh approach Cam."
- Janine Allis, Founder and CEO, Boost Juice.
“Cam gives you a philosophy that frees you to be yourself and simple tools to structure your ideas so you engage your audience.”
- Verne Harnish, CEO of Gazelles and author of Scaling Up (Rockefeller Habits 2.0)
“The Vivid Method has helped me to bring order to the world of information chaos - in the media, at the lectern and the board table. The secret to confident and powerful delivery skills is clarity. Read the book!”
- Mark Evans, AFL football operations manager
”This is an outstanding book. The core premise certainly worked for me, and I believe you have nailed it for people making major presentations.”
- Paul Thompson, founder of both Austereo and DMG (now Nova Entertainment)
"Cam Barber has written a remarkable book on communication and I think it should be required reading for everyone who manages, sells or speaks for a living."
- Roger Dawson, Author of Secrets of Power Negotiating.
Table of Contents
Just before we get started...
The Power of Messaging
A statistical anomaly
One presentation can define a career
Messaging case study: Hawthorn Football Club
Internal messages (to players and staff)
The ‘glue’ that holds the team plan together
Game-day motivational messages
The power of messaging in 4 areas of life...
Messaging makes great leaders
- Gandhi - Spreading a new idea
- Nelson Mandela - His life in messages
- Steve Jobs - Chief Messaging Officer
- David Morrison, Army Chief - Changing the culture
- CEO - The reason for the new plan
Messaging gets your ideas heard
- Anita Roddick - Media exposure for free
- Allan Carr - The EasyWay to stop smoking
- Steve Waugh - Leadership for a new audience
- Politician-How much water to grow an orange?
- Doctor - Convincing people to support a new idea
Messaging builds your personal brand
- Jules Lund - Finding the message changed everything, effortlessly
- Janine Allis - Messaging allows natural style
- Senior Manager - Leveraging his knowledge
Messaging promotes your organisation
- Richard Branson - Nervous, but doesn’t mind
- The ‘Hot Tub Ski Lodge’ marketing message
- CSIRO - Securing science funding
- The Pope Francis effect
The Vivid Method for Public Speaking
Public speaking myths...
Body language: everything you know is wrong
Vivid Method Part One: The ClarityFirst Principles
Vivid Method Part Two: Create a Speech Outline
Vivid Method Part Three: Give Great Explanations
Effortless delivery skills
How to start a speech
How to end a speech
Optional techniques to engage your listeners
How to PROVOKE the mind of your listener
How to CONNECT with your listener
How to ACTIVATE your listener’s mind
Visual explanations - leveraging slides and visual support
Public Speaking Recap
So, to wrap up... bring your ideas to life!
Why I wrote this Book
It took a fair amount of caffeine to get the book finished, but I wrote it for 3 reasons:
1. Most speakers don't have a clear and memorable message when public speaking and miss their opportunity to persuade.
2. Many people who could share their ideas, don't - because they are burdened by public speaking anxiety, and/or information overload.
3. Leaders are less effective than they could be because they don’t understand the power of messaging.
This book solves all 3 challenges.
Who is Cam Barber?
Cam Barber is a professional speaker and speaking coach who focuses on the awesome power of messaging. His background as a radio executive taught him how to get inside the mind of an audience and trigger message recall.
As a young manager, Cam experienced traditional Public Speaking training - which made him more nervous and more self conscious than before the training! His method demystifies and simplifies public speaking.
He has worked with the following organisations as a speechwriter, messaging consultant and speaking coach:
Walt Disney, BBC Worldwide, BP, Fox Sports, Gilead Sciences, Scandinavian tobacco, Anglo American, Bristol Myers-Squibb, Johnson & Johnson Medical, Nestle, NewsCorp, Village Roadshow, Toyota, Shell, 21st Century Fox, Fosters Group, Kraft, Mercer, Seek, DaimlerChrysler, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Newcrest, BHP, UIP.